Domestic Violence Intervention and Response Team
The Domestic Violence Collaborative Program was developed through the Domestic Relationship Violence Initiative Committee when the Domestic Violence Court began in Red Deer in 2005. The collaborative program operates under the direction of the Collaborative Management Team. The Management Team consists of the RCMP, Crown Prosecutors, Red Deer Community Corrections, Children’s Services, Jim Freeman Psychotherapy Ltd, Alberta Health Services Addictions and Mental Health, The Outreach Centre, Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter, and Central Alberta Sexual Assault Centre.
The goals of this team are to:
- To increase the safety of victims of domestic violence.
- To increase victim (complainant) safety, participation and input for those involved with the Domestic Violence Court.
- To increase offenders’ acceptance of responsibility.
- To enhance collaboration and coordination of services in the Domestic Violence Collaborative Program.
This team provides case management to victims of domestic violence involved in the judicial system, serving Red Deer, Innisfail, Blackfalds, Sylvan Lake and Lacombe. The team provides support to victims of domestic violence by:
- educating of ongoing risk management
- ensuring that successful safety plans are in place for victims and their families
- connecting to ongoing support services
- provides an opportunity for the victims voice to be heard through a court interview which is then provided to the Crown Prosecutor
If you would like more information regarding domestic violence support and/or be connected to a Case Worker please call 403-347-2480.