What is the Kid Power Group?
This is a play therapy group for children who have been affected by Domestic Violence. There is a separate psycho-educational group for parents whose children have been affected by Domestic Violence. The groups run for 8 weeks. The parent's portion and children's portions are run separately
The primary goals of Kid Power are to encourage children to:
- learn what abuse is
- learn to express feelings and thoughts about experiences such as separation or loss, family violence and other stressful family events.
- develop a safety plan
- learn to express anger in a healthy manner
- improve problem solving skills.
The primary goals of the Parenting Program are to encourage parents to:
- better understand their child’s world, through the use of empathy.
- become aware of messages they received in their childhood and how it affects their parenting today.
- become aware of the difference between punishment and discipline
- become aware of the difference between effective and ineffective communication skills.
- become aware of the long range consequences of different discipline methods.
This program is free. A light snack is provided.
When is it available?
KID Power is offered for 8 consecutive weeks in the Spring, Fall, and Winter. Individuals interested in this program must pre-register by submitting the application form.
For current program start dates or more information, contact The Outreach Centre or Ruby at 403-347-2480.
Supported in part by.